In northwestern France, the small village Éragny was founded in Roman times. Originally under the name Heriniacus, it finally evolved to the present name in the 10th century.
In 1564, Jean d’Alessa came from Italy with Saint François of Paule to buy the seigniory of Éragny. Their family insignia, “d’azur au sautoir d’or cantonné de quatre limaçons d’argent“, was the model for the town’s current one. His heirs have spread his initial possessions and have kept them until the French Revolution when they were confiscated as “emigrated possession” .
While the coat of arms originally contained four snails, only two made it to the present CoA of Éragny. The design is likely from the 19th century or later, but no specific details could be found. They are both vertically directed, and symmetrical. Both are stylised, their shells with two whorls and the animals with two tentacles only. One is dextral, the other sinistral (undoubtedly primarily for symmetrical reasons).