Tags

, , ,

Although most snails found on coat of arms belong to French villages, today the Italian village Campione is the subject. This is an Italian exclave in the Swiss canton of Ticino.

In the first century BC the Romans founded the garrison town of Campilonum to protect their territories from Helvetii invasions. In 777 Toto of Campione, a local Lombard lord, left his inheritance to the archbishopric of Milan. Ownership was transferred to the abbey of Sant’Ambrogio. In 1521 the surrounding area of Ticino was transferred from the ownership of the bishop of Como to Switzerland by Pope Julius II, as thanks for support in the War of the Holy League. However, the abbey maintained control over what is now Campione d’Italia and some territory on the western bank of Lake Lugano. Its status came about when Ticino chose to become part of the Swiss Confederation in 1798, and Campione’s people chose to remain part of Lombardy [1].

IT_Campione_d'Italia

No data could be found why the snail is part of this coat of arms, nor when this was introduced. It is a stylised dextral specimen with two tentacles.

Note:
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campione_d%27Italia.

Advertisements